It could be that you haven’t roasted Broccoli yet, and you aren’t a fan. Because it is easy to make and delicious, roast Broccoli is my favorite side dish. It’s so good that I could eat a whole pound of it myself. While I have had a tutorial on how you roast frozen Broccoli for many years, I realized that I didn’t have a tutorial on roasting fresh Broccoli. Although the techniques are similar, the results can be very different. Let’s get started!
DO FROZEN BROCCOLI WORK?
You can bake frozen Broccoli. However, it may turn out differently. You can find full instructions in my Oven-Roasted Frozen Broccoli recipe.
HOW TO GET CRISPY ROASTED BROCCOLI
Crispy edges are my favorite part about oven-roasted Broccoli. These are my top tips to get crispy brown edges on your Broccoli.
- Oil should be well coated on the Broccoli.
- Place the Broccoli on a baking sheet. You should not crowd it as this can trap the steam and prevent crisping and browning.
- Avoid large florets. The larger the florets, the longer it will take for them to roast. Also, the less area available for browning.
- Roast directly on your sheet pan (no parchment liner).
HOW TO SEASON ROASTED BROCCOLI
The second great thing about roasted Broccoli is all the different seasonings you can use. There are so many ways to season it that I could eat it every day and not feel like I’m ever eating the same thing. These are my top seasonings for roasted Broccoli.
- Season steaks
- Curry powder
- Seasoning salt (such as Lawry’s).
- Seasonings for all bagel varieties
- Parmesan cheese
- After roasting, add lemon juice and zest.
- Simple salt & pepper! If you plan to dip the Broccoli into a flavorful sauce, add salt and pepper!
Roasted broccoli is a healthy side dish with major crowd appeal. Broccoli contains a lot of good-for-you fiber, vitamin C, and a surprising amount of protein. Who knew? If you’ve been in a rut with side dishes lately, or you’re tired of steamed broccoli, you will love this simple side.
Perfect OVEN ROASTED BROCCOLI
You can make delicious and crispy oven-roasted Broccoli in just a few steps. This side dish is perfect for any dinner.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 lbs. Broccoli ($2.98)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.32)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt* ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper* ($0.02)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400oF Cut the Broccoli into small pieces.
- If you prefer extra browning, spread the florets on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the olive oil on top. Toss the Broccoli in oil until well coated.
- Broccoli should be roasted for 20-25 minutes or until the desired browning occurs. Stir the Broccoli once every 15 minutes. The roasting time will vary depending on how large your broccoli florets are and what type of baking sheet you use. Browner surfaces brown quicker.
*This basic recipe for roasted Broccoli is simple and can be seasoned with salt and pepper. You can find other seasoning suggestions in the recipe list.
Serving Size: 1 serving Calories: 138.5 kcal Carbohydrates: 14.95 G Protein: 6.35 g Fat: 7.83g Sodium: 281.9 mg Fiber: 5.85g